Since the new season of the german version of “The Great British Bake Off” started, I really got back into being interested in baking.
I probably haven’t baked since Christmas so I really felt like I had to get back into it. And I finally made something again which was a lot of fun.
I decided to go for a recipe from one of the judges from the german Bake off jury. I translated it into english for you.
You can find the link to the recipe here.
You will need: (for 6 big “Amerikaner”)
- 200g flour
- 75ml butter-milk
- 80g soft butter – I used margarine
- 100g sugar
- 1 (big) egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 250g powdered sugar
- Some water
1. Preheat your oven to 180° Celsius.
2. Start by mixing the soft butter and sugar together, at least for 3 minutes until creamy. Then add the egg and mix until well combined.
3. In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In another bowl combine the butter-milk and vanilla extract.
4. Add the flour mixture by turns with the butter-milk mixture.
5. Take 1 big tablespoon of dough and place it onto a baking tray (lined with baking parchment). Place three piles of dough on one tray. You will need to trays for this.
6. Bake the “Amerikaner” for 15 to 20 minutes, tray by tray (don’t bake two at once).
Wait for them to cool.
7. Sieve your powdered sugar and add the water until a smooth consistency forms. Then add the mixture on top of you baked goods.
Let it sit for a few good minutes and then enjoy.
I LOVE a good “Amerikaner”. You usually find them at a baking store, but these days it is super hard to actually get them, at least where I live. Now I can make them whenever I feel like having them.
Have you heard of “Amerikaner” before? I really love eating them! Let me know if you are going to try this recipe yourself.
Thanks for reading xx